The Apothecary's Daughter - Julie Klassen I must say I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I don't believe I have ever read christian historical fiction before, but the blurb intrigued me so I picked it up. I didn't expect much, not knowing if I would even enjoy the genre, but I ended up liking it.

First the good. I found this book to be soothing. I haven't read a calming book in a while, and I was surprised by it. The book didn't rush, kept a smooth pace, and that was refreshing. I thought it a bit boring in the beginning compared to other books I've read recently, but once I really got into the characters and setting, I started to really like it.

I enjoyed that Klassen made the aunt and uncle likable. I was expecting the usual awful relative role, and again I was surprised at the depth and likability of the characters even with such a small role.

In fact, most of the characters were extremely believable. So refreshing.

My dislikes - was there a man alive who didn't ADORE Lilly? Why was everyone so obsessed with her, and why was she SO oblivious to most of them? It was the one trait that really annoyed me about her, as well as her inability to make up her mind about the many suitors.

But despite boredom at the start and dislike of some character traits, I did enjoy the book, and would read this author again. It's made me want to pick up some of my dusty old historicals to reread. :-)