Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) - E.L. James I am so conflicted about this book. There was so much good to it, but SO much bad.

The constant annoyances were too much for me to ignore. The first-person, present-tense narration was painful. The clear lack of editing was worse. There is such a thing that one learns in school called SHOW, DON'T TELL. Don't TELL me "I'm embarrassed." DESCRIBE it so I inherently feel the embarrassment. The sheer lack of description in this book was painful to overlook.

Also, have an actual 21-ish-year-old read over the dialogue before publishing. My constant scoffing over hearing Ana say shit like "I shall endeavor to do so" wore me out. She's in COLLEGE, not an all-girls prep school in England. Have her speak like someone her age!

Don't get me started on the annoying "inner goddess" and severe overuse of italics.

The main characters were awful. I had such hope for this book to begin with, but pushing myself to ignore how juvenile Ana acted was difficult. Back and forth and back and forth with the "he likes me, he doesn't like me, do I want to, don't I want to", and the constant pushing. I suppose that one in a relationship should wish to know everything about the other AT SOME POINT, but the constant nagging for more info and saying yes then no to get her way did not endear her to me at all. I just found her annoying. You've known him three weeks, he clearly has some issues, get off his back and let them come out naturally.

Christian's character was intriguing, but for goodness sake, compromise is one thing, but giving in to every little annoyance of Ana's made his character more unbelievable than the author already made him. I think he had such potential, and she just didn't do him enough justice. Clearly there's a backstory behind why he likes what he does, but why give in all the time? Why make him so strong in the beginning then wishy-washy halfway through?

I haven't decided if I'm going to continue the series. I might have to take a breather to gear myself up for it. We'll see if it's worth it.